Mike began the class by explaining the assignment to his students. He told them he would pair them up and wanted them to share (tell) their summaries with their partners. The partner would then be expected to briefly summarize one of their partner's topics for the rest of the class. Finally, the partner who had written the original summary would evaluate the retelling.
Throughout the lesson Mike embedded purposeful language when he:
- explained the importance of summarizing
- explained the importance of listening
- explained the importance of speaking
- suggested students act as teachers when sharing summaries
- shared his own story of an embarrassing moment when he had to choose to continue his theatrical performance
- modeled think alouds and added information following summaries
- asked students what was most difficult with the assignment
- asked students why that was the most difficult part
- asked students how they could address that difficulty.