- Students broke into small groups.
- Each group received 4 Aesops fables to read.
- After reading the fables, each group was to do the following:
- using a quote from the fable, state what the theme is
- rewrite each theme in modern English
- brainstorm and list at least two modern experiences (per fable) that can teach the same lesson as the fable
- Think about four lessons and the experiences that today can teach us the same lesson
- As a group, decide which theme is most relevant and universal and come up with an argument to prove it
- Report and support your decision as we debrief
__Share the Air and Encourage Others
__Support your Views and Findings
__Show Tolerance and Respect
__ Reflect and Correct
Students moved through this process smoothly. Groups were heterogeneous. This is an example of immersion. Sarah was clear with her students regarding the purposes of this lesson: 1. reading books this year, would focus on theme and 2. theme comes from one's life and experiences. The lesson was a great success.