Search This Blog

Thursday, December 4, 2008

Discussion Extenders - Hurray:)



Danielle London is a special education teacher at Mt. Abram's and has posted some discussion extenders and guidelines for classroom conversations. These are adapted from C. Tovani. Hurray and thank you. Many of the teachers have been asking for them:)








Rules for Saying Something

1. With your partner decide who will say something first.

2. When you say something to one or more of the following:
a. make a prediction
b. ask a question
c. clarify something you had misunderstood
d. make a comment
e. make a connection

3. If you can’t do one of those five things, then you need to re-read.

Make a Prediction:
I predict that …
I bet that ….
Since this happened … then I bet the new thing that’s going to happen is…
Reading this part … moves me to think that this … is about to happen…
I wonder if …

Clarify Something:
Oh I get it…
Now I understand …
This makes sense now…
No, I think it means…
I agree with you. This means …
A first I thought… now I think..
This part is really saying…

Ask a Question:
Why do…
What is this part about?
How is this … like this…
What would happen if…?
Why…?
Who is…?
What does this section mean…?
Do you think that…?
I don’t get this part here…

Make a Comment:
This is good because …
This part is like…
This is confusing because…
I like the part where …
I don’t like this part because…
My favorite part so far is…
I think that…

Make a Connection:
This reminds me of….
This part is like…
This character…is like…because …
This is similar to…
The differences are…
I also (name something in text that has happened to you)
This character makes me think of …
The setting reminds me of …
I never (name something in text that has never happened to you)

No comments: